When you’re on a diet, one of the recommendations everyone makes is to drink lots of water, but unfortunately there are people who are never thirsty! Why is drinking so important? And what strategies can you adopt to be able to drink more to keep you healthy and lose weight?
With the help of Dr. Stefania Giambartolomei, nutritionist of SISA (Italian Society of Food Science), we have tried to understand why drinking water is good for the diet. In fact, it is important that water becomes a life partner, at any time of the day, to feel good and lose weight better.
Does drinking lots of water help you lose weight?
Yes, drinking a lot helps you lose weight because water increases gastric volume and induces an immediate sense of fullness. As a result, by drinking you tend to feel full before. A glass of water sipped slowly, will give you a feeling of satiety, without adding even an extra calorie.
For example, drinking two glasses of water before meals is a great way to decrease the feeling of hunger before sitting down at the table.
And then, don’t forget that the right hydration fights cellulite and water retention. In fact, water, especially if low in mineral salts, is the most precious ally to drain excess liquids in the body and eliminate swollen and heavy legs.
How much to drink per day
The amount of water to drink in a day depends on many factors:
- work activity
- physical activity
- presence or absence of pathologies
- season (climate and humidity).
However, in general, it is good to drink at least 1.5 / 2 liters of water per day.
The water contains many minerals
The mineral salts contained in the water are numerous. The most important are sodium and calcium, but there are also phosphorus, potassium, iodine, magnesium, selenium, and zinc. Each of these plays an important role in the body because they are all involved in many chemical reactions and represent an important part of many enzymes.
Better natural water or carbonated water
Unfortunately, carbonated water significantly increases intestinal bloating. This can become annoying for colitis sufferers, so it is preferable not to abuse it.
How to choose the water to drink
Those who have no particular health problems can safely drink tap water. Instead, those with osteoporosis problems should prefer water with high calcium content. In addition, those who suffer from kidney stones or are predisposed to this pathology, it is preferable that they choose minimally mineralized water.
In short, drinking water is important because:
- water has no calories;
- it is a precious ally to drain excess liquids;
- It is an important psychological support to avoid going overboard;
- It provides minerals essential for the health of your body.
Tricks to drink more water
1. Drink from the bottle. There are convenient half-liter bottles that you can carry comfortably with you. If you struggle to drink a liter of water, think that half a liter corresponds to 5 glasses: psychologically, a bottle is less demanding than 5 glasses.
2. If you really can’t drink water because it doesn’t taste, give it to him. For example, you can add lemon juice to the water.
3. Drink 2 glasses of water before lunch and dinner to increase the sense of satiety and decrease the feeling of hunger.
4. Choose the temperature you like best if it helps you drink more. Fresh water or at room temperature makes no difference. However, remember that drinking too cold water can cause stomach cramps and even intestinal problems.
5. If you really belong to that group of people who are never thirsty, learn to drink without thirst. The less you drink the less thirsty you will have, so take courage with both hands and immediately break this vicious circle.
6. System bottles everywhere: on the desk, in the kitchen, in the bag, in the bedroom. In this way, drinking will become an automatic gesture and you will reach 2 liters a day without difficulty.